Baked beans are a beloved classic in British cuisine, dating back to the 18th century. They’re a staple of the Full English breakfast and a comforting side dish for any meal. While canned baked beans are widely available, there’s something special about making your own from scratch.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make delicious homemade baked beans that are easy to prepare and packed with flavour.
- 2 cups of mixed beans, soaked overnight
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 800g of tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp. of raw honey (Looking for an AMAZING honey brand? – https://www.facebook.com/mrloulovelyrawhoney/)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. of ginger powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ – 1 litre of homemade vegetable stock
- ½ a cup of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. feta cheese
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, and cinnamon until the onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, honey, and ½ to 1 litre of stock depending on the preferred consistency.
- Simmer for a further 30 – 45 minutes.
- Once cooked add the flat-leaf parsley and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Season to taste. Get it in you!
Tips and tricks:
- If you don’t have time to soak the beans overnight, you can use the quick soak method. Bring the beans and enough water to cover them to a boil, then remove from heat and let them sit for an hour before draining and rinsing.
- If you prefer a sweeter flavour, you can add more honey or coconut sugar.
- To make the recipe gluten-free, double-check that all ingredients are certified gluten-free.
Baked beans are a versatile dish that can be served in many ways. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- On toast: Toast a slice of bread and top with a generous helping of baked beans for a classic British breakfast or lunch.
- With eggs: Serve baked beans alongside fried, scrambled or poached eggs for a filling meal.
- With sausages: Pair baked beans with your favourite sausages for a hearty dinner.
- With jacket potatoes: Spoon baked beans over a baked potato and top with grated cheese and sour cream for a delicious and easy meal.
- As a side dish: Serve baked beans as a side dish for grilled meats or vegetables.
Making homemade baked beans may seem daunting, but it’s actually a simple and satisfying process. With a little time and patience, you can create a delicious and nutritious dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you stick to the classic recipe or add your own twists, we hope this article has inspired you to try making homemade baked beans for yourself. Enjoy!
Hotwire Your Health!
If you want to enhance your overall health and well-being, consider exploring the world of Martial Arts. At Wu Xing Dao Kung Fu, we believe in a comprehensive approach to Martial Arts that encompasses not only self-defence and physical techniques but also self-discipline, health, and nutrition.
Upon joining our martial arts classes, we provide guidance on the different martial arts styles available and the associated life skills. This enables you to make an informed decision about which style to pursue. Our program ensures that all students are proficient in self-defence while also reaping the numerous health benefits of practising martial arts